Is our New Mayor the right choice.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

In Training

Time to get back at the blog. I have set a couple of new goals for myself for the new year. With my brother Brent I plan on running the 1/2 BMO Vancouver Marathon on the Sunday May 2, 2010 followed by the Vulcan Tinman Triathlon on the 6th of June 2010.

Training starts in earnest first thing in the new year following one or more of the training programs set out by the Running Room and the conditioning experts associated with the BMO Vancouver. For now, my guides want me out running a couple of times each week.

The program for right now is 1 hour of training with 10/1 intervals. 10 minutes of running and 1 of resting (to clear out the lactic acid etc. etc. ???). I have been able to get three runs in over the last couple of weeks with the latest yesterday.

Yesterday I followed a path West from the house over to Deerfoot trail and got onto the bike / running path heading North which was a bit of a mess but anyways I ended up at McKnight Blvd which I then followed East to Barlow trail and then South to nearly 16th Ave and then cut over back to the house. No idea of how far this is but it took just a few minutes short of an hour.

I am finding that the first two intervals are troublesome (maybe not warmed up, maybe not in the groove, who knows), followed by the middle two intervals which don't feel all that bad and then the last two which seem to continue to be very hard work.

I find that my heart rates climbs a bit each interval to the point where the last two or three intervals are little more than a brisk walk to keep the heart rate down. It seems like each time I go out it is a wee bit easier which I guess is what it is all about.

The run was OK but there were too many cars and too many intersections. I think from our place heading West to the bike path and then straight south to the zoo will be a whole lot easier.

Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment